Most Latin countries have delicious versions of rice pudding – but this is my favorite! This is a perfectly creamy delight, and with the addition of port wine at the end, becomes a big kid version of a little kid favorite! This recipe can easily be doubled for larger groups – or just to enjoy more for yourself!
Arroz con Leche // Peruvian Rice Pudding
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 cup of white rice
- 5 cups of water
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 1/2 cups of milk
- Orange peel
- 1 (497g) can of sweetened condensed milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons of port wine
- In a large pot, combine rice, water, cloves and cinnamon sticks. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, partially cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.
- Pour in milk and add orange peel; bring the mixture to a simmer again. Allow to simmer 20 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed; stirring occasionally.
- Remove cinnamon sticks, cloves and orange peel. Add the sweetened condensed milk and stir with a wooden spoon. Continue to cook over a low simmer until the mixture thickens, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg yolk and port wine. Temper the mixture by adding 3 tablespoons, one at a time, to the egg mixture, stirring after each addition. Add egg mixture back to the creamy rice and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle with ground cinnamon when serving.