I know you all have your go-to recipes. You must! There are those days that you need something easy, quick, and something you know will last a few meals, right? I have those days often. Business seems to collide with all that is really needed and really urgent and food slips down the priority chain. It is easy to get set aside until you pull out a box or open a can – even though you promised yourself you wouldn’t do that anymore. Can I get an Amen!?
I want to offer you a treasure. What you have here is a simple recipe with only a few ingredients. This requires very little mess to put together. And what you end up with is truly spectacular! This is the type of meal that I will do after I get home from grocery shopping. You know that moment when you are tired, hungry, have brought home half the store and yet you have no idea what to make and sure don’t want to make piles of dirty dishes.
Try this. When chicken breasts go on sale, buy some. Note to self – they were on sale today, you should have picked up a few more! I often ask them to cut the wings off and separate them so I can make soup with just wings. Then I have the whole chicken breast with the skin still on, which helps with the juices. Make sure to pick up some marmalade, since I know that is not something everyone stocks up on regularly. Here in Peru, I always buy this in the deli section because it is not as “set” as jarred marmalade and I suspect a little cheaper as well. I have the coriander olive oil and salt on hand here in my pantry. Then, seriously, you mix everything together, coat your chicken and bake. Then, voila! You have a delicious, your husband cannot get enough of good meal.
Although our standard is serving everything with rice (yes, including lasagna!) I sometimes forgo the rice with this chicken and just bake mini potatoes. Of course mashed works well too. If you don’t have the adorable Papa Cocktail near you, you can just as easily quarter small potatoes and roast them that way. I try to make a green vegetable with this, because, well, I like all the color together. Easy enough, huh?
- 2 medium red onions, sliced into 1 cm rings
- 3 (1.5 lbs each) bone in, skin on chicken breasts (optional: wings cut off)
- 3/4 cup orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- Heat oven to 425F. Arrange the onions in a 13×9 baking dish (or bigger if your chicken breast don’t fit). Place the chicken breasts on top.
- In a small bowl, combine the marmalade, oil, coriander, 2 teaspoons salt, and 3/4 teaspoon pepper. Spread the mixture under the skin and a small amount on top of the skin. Roast until they are cooked through, about 45 minutes (internal temperature of 165F). (I should note that I almost always bake the chicken with a tray of potatoes at the same time, if you are cooking the chicken alone, check after about 30 minutes.)
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and slice chicken breasts. Serve chicken and onions with remaining juices.